You are interested in working for a company and have an interview coming up. How do you prepare for that interview such that you impress the person you are talking with? It starts with researching the company. The more you know about the company -their history, mission, customers, origins, products, services, competition ? the more qualified you will be to talk about it.
How well you do your ?homework? before you speak to the company makes a statement about your preparedness and genuine interest in working there. If you want the job, you?ve got to be able to explain ?why? you want to work there. It can?t just be because of the money (even if that is what you really care about). You need to want to work there because of what they do, how they do it, and the impact it has on society and why that matters to you. You need to be able to talk about what makes this company a great place to work for and why you believe you can add value to their goals and objectives.
In order to speak like someone they should hire, you need to come equipped with the research, receipts, and facts that let you talk intelligently about the company. You want to impress them with your knowledge about their company and get your foot in the door! This assignment will help you take that first step- research the company!
This assignment will require you to write a paper about a company you are interest in working for.
After completing this assignment, you should be able to:
- Explain what the company does and what it contributes to society.
- Describe the mission, competition, industry, and products and services of the company.
- Be familiar with how to speak enthusiastically and informationally about a company.
Note: Students must provide in-text (parenthetical) citations next to relevant facts or quotes they use. If they do not, points will be deducted. A reference list at the end of the assignment should also be included. MLA, APA, or another consistent formatting standard are welcome.
Submit a Word or PDF Document which responds to the following prompts. Approximately one paragraph is recommended for each prompt. It is expected that you describe the company and information in your own words (copying and pasting information from the internet is not only plagiarism, but it also won?t help you learn about this company you want to work for).
- Company Background– Relevant information might include its history, founding, mission, location, and leadership.
- Market Research? Relevant questions to consider: How do they make money? Who are their competitors? What is their market share? Look at their Investor information on their website or through the library databases ? what was their revenue for last year? Is the company growing from the previous year?
- Customer Base– Who are their customers? Why do their customers choose them? Are there changes in their customers over time?
- Culture? What is their work culture? How does the world view this company as a place to work? How does their culture influence its operations and/or programs?
- Career Pathways? What is the functional unit you are interested in? What are the job types and pathways within that unit? Who is a person or people working in this unit you could contact to learn more?
- Summary paragraph? Why do you want to work at this organization? What is your fit/match?
Resources available to find this information:
- Use the Library guide provided in our prior class regarding company and industry research ? the databases here will be extremely helpful for market research. https://libguides.rutgers.edu/bf Links to an external site.Links to an external site.
- Review the company?s website, social media accounts, and LinkedIn pages
- Visit the company?s career site
- Review recent news about the company through Google news, the Wall Street Journal, and other sources
- Use sites like https://rutgers.firsthand.co/Links to an external site.Links to an external site., Glassdoor and Vault to read what employees say about the company
- Review profiles on LinkedIn of individuals who work at the company and in roles you are interested in
Company ResearchCompany ResearchCriteriaRatingsPtsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeProper CitationsIn-text citations and reference list1 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCompany BackgroundCompany history, date founded, mission, headquarter location, CEO1.5 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1.5 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMarket ResearchProducts, competitors, market share, revenue, growth1.5 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1.5 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCustomer BaseCustomers, competitive advantage, value to customers1.5 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1.5 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCompany CultureTenets of culture, impact on employees, reputation as employer1.5 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1.5 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCareer PathwaysUnit of interest, jobs and career pathways, people working in positions1.5 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1.5 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSummaryRationale for interest in company, your fit as a candidate1.5 ptsFull Marks0 ptsNo Marks1.5 pts
Total Points: 10PreviousNext
Have a similar assignment? "Place an order for your assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."